Your Ad Here

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Hockey In England?

Like most NHL fans, I thought that starting the season in London, England was a very strange move. Why open the season there? I felt it would have been smarter to open it in the cities hometown! Or at least in a country where hockey is already popular but lack superstars such as Finland, Russia, Sweden or even Austria. Then I read the reviews about the game and my jaw dropped. Both games sold out with the O2 arena hold 17,500 fans. That’s more people than those Columbus Blue Jackets can get. Fans were wearing jerseys of almost every team, including a few USA and Canadian national jerseys. The best part was to know that not only is hockey thriving, but popping up in countries no one would have thought ice hockey was even in. As far as I am concerned, out of the 4 major American sports, ice hockey is the second most popular behind baseball…but from what I’ve heard, China is starting a hockey program…think they will start a Little League Stanley Cup?


Here are my pre-season awards, conference finals and Stanley Cup finals picks…

Western Conference:
San Jose def. Colorado

Eastern Conference:
NY Rangers def. Pittsburgh Penguins

Stanley Cup:
San Jose def. NY Rangers

MVP: Sidney Crosby
Vezina: Martin Brodour
Calder: Jonathan Toews

No comments: